Saturday, March 2, 2024

Who's the face of the team - National League West

Up next for the face of the team, the National League West. 

Once again, determining the all-time face of the teams in NL West, was pretty easy for me. Choosing the current player for the NL West was much easier than the NL Central except for one team. Here's my choices for the National League West. 

Just for a quick refresher, my definition of the face of the team revolves around who is the one player that first comes to mind when a team is mentioned. I decided that I'd do my all-time faces of the teams, as well as the current face of the team.  

NL WEST

Arizona Diamondbacks

When I think of the Diamondbacks my first thoughts are of Randy Johnson. Even though he started his MLB career with the Montreal Expos and changed teams 7 times, including 2 stints Arizona, I always seem to picture him in either a Seattle uniform or a Dbacks uniform(I'm pretty sure we all know who the face of the team will be in Seattle). It may be because he won his 300th game with Arizona. 

The current face of the team is another one of those no doubters in Corbin Carroll. I really don't think it will take long for Carroll to be the guy that everyone thinks of when talking about the Diamondbacks. 

     

Not a huge fan of the blue border of the 2003 Topps, but the picture of Johnson pitching is how I remember him throwing on the mound.  Sticking to Topps flagship, the '23 Topps Corbin Carroll is the only option. I could see, if he continues on his current path, that Corbin Carroll could be the All-Time face of the Diamondbacks.

Colorado Rockies

If I'm doing the Immaculate Grid and there's a Rockies hitting question, my first thought goes to Todd Helton. Unless I'm mistaken, Helton will be the first Colorado Rockies in the HOF. I think that pretty much seals the deal as far as being the all-time face of the Rockies. 

I went with Kris Bryant as the current face of the Rockies. I think this was pretty easy only because he was the only one that really stood out to me. The sad thing is I had to go and scour the Colorado roster to come up with Bryant.

     

Los Angeles Dodgers

There are so many great players who have worn the Dodgers uniform. Koufax, Reese, Sutton, Drysdale, Campanella, and Snider to name a few. For me, the only one it could be was Jackie Robinson as the all-time face of the Dodgers. 

My first thought for the current face of the team was Clayton Kershaw, but that was because I'm a fan of guy from my hometown of Dallas, TX. Before I could even type a word on the Dodgers, I was reminded of the $700 million contract of Shohei Ohtani. That pretty much sums it up. It's Ohtani.

     

San Diego Padres 

All-time face of the Padres is one of the all-time greatest hitters, Tony Gwynn. Interesting fact about Gwynn; including the postseason, he faced 18 Hall of Fame pitchers for a total of 541 plate appearances. That is equivalent of a full season of only HOF pitchers. Gwynn hit .331 in those plate appearances. 


Current face of the team goes to Fernando Tatis Jr. After winning his first Gold Glove after a position switch to the outfield, if he can get his bat going again, he'll be in the MVP talks for 2024.

     

San Francisco Giants

One of, if not the greatest players of all-time, Willie Mays, is the all-time face of the Giants. If you haven't read his book, 24 Life stories and lessons from the Say Hey Kid, you are missing out. 

     

That does it for the National League West. Time to move on to the American League. Please don't hesitate to to leave a comment or two about my choices, especially, if you disagree.

Peace,

Michael

Isaiah 40:31

4 comments:

  1. Larry Walker is in the Hall of Fame who spent some time with the Rockies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right. I knew someone would catch me on something. Props to you for reminding me about Larry Walker.

      Delete
  2. Still adjusting to Ohtani being a Dodger. I'm guessing if we were doing word association and someone said current Dodger, I would have said Betts or Kershaw. I think Carroll is the only DB I know, so that's my pick as well. I know a handful of Rockies, but Bryant is the one that stands out the most. Tatis is my favorite Padre, so I probably would have said him too... unless I had just sorted a stack of Japanese players. Then Darvish might have popped up. As for the Giants, Logan Webb is arguably their biggest star... so I'd go with him.

    ReplyDelete

What a week!

 It's been a tough week! As some of you know, I'm a special education teacher and a baseball coach in high school. With school windi...