Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Thoughts of an old card collector

 More random thoughts...

- If I was just starting out in collecting cards, I'm not sure that I'd know where to start. It is absolutely amazing to me the sheer number of cards that are out there in any given year. The choices that a newbie collector faces could be and would be, for me, overwhelming. It's understandable why set collecting is not as common as it was back when I started collecting.

- I'm still in the inventorying of my collection. I think I'm about a 1/3 of the way done. Probably closer to 1/2 when it comes to my Topps sets. I've got a ton of non-Topps cards that I haven't even touched. If I wasn't a teacher with time off in the summer I doubt I'd be as far along as I am. 

- It's really sad about the cards from the '90s that turned into bricks. There were some decent designs that got screwed up. It's going to be a challenge to complete those sets with cards that aren't messed up.

- Still in the process of figuring out TCDB, but all-in-all it's going pretty well. I've completed 10 trades, including one with Nacho Grande. Here's some of the cards I've gotten in trades.




- Question for those who care to answer in the comments...What's your favorite card, set, or grail card that you're chasing? For me, the grail that I'm always on the lookout for is 1957 Roberto Clemente. Every time I go to a show, that's the one I've got my eye out for. 

- Speaking of shows, anybody going to the National in Chicago? I want to go to a National one day just to say I went, but not  this year. 

- The Texas Rangers are playing really well. Hope they can keep it up!

- I've been blessed to be able to be able to send some random cards to people that I read their blogs. I've gotten some shout outs on their sites and it's appreciated, but that wasn't the intent. I just like doing it. I think its something that I'm going to try and do at least once a month. So, if you've got a blog, let me know in the comments and I'll check it out. If you don't have a blog, let me know your want list or where I can find it. Who knows? You might get a card or two in the mail.

It's late and that's all I've got tonight. 

Peace, 
Michael 
Isaiah 40:31

7 comments:

  1. I don't know what I'd collect if I was just starting out now. I'd probably find out what kind of cards there were through social media and then pick what appealed to me, which most likely would be Topps flagship or Stadium Club. I wouldn't know the why behind Heritage, which now makes me sad.

    Big card I'm chasing now is the 1970 Nolan Ryan. Will probably be chasing it for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a grail card per say, but with my goal of having every Red Sox Topps base card from my birth year (1975) onward, I'll eventually have to chase down the Wade Boggs rookie card. Fortunately, that's the only "big" card to acquire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that if I was just starting to collect cards I wouldn't be after a specific set. I would probably just stick to my Braves cards and nothing else. Hmm, that's a thought....okay it passed. LOL. By all means those random acts of kindness known here in the blogosphere (RAOK) are good things keep it up. (even when school starts back, hehe. My grail card is probably the 1952 Topps #407 (the last card in the set) Eddie Mathews. I need 2 of them. OUCH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A. There's a part of me that would love to hit the reset button... and start fresh. If I did... I'd probably just focus on Tony Gwynn cards. Then again... I'd probably be devastated that I gave up my collection of sets, autographs, and rookie cards.

    B. Grail card? There are a bunch... but one that always stand out is Jackie Robinson rookie card. Grail set? 1956 Topps.

    C. Not going to the National. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine how difficult it would be a new collector in 2023. Given how crazy everything is now, I don't think that I'd even bother trying at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been on the lookout for an affordable 1955 Bowman Ernie Banks for a while. But I'm yet to find one in a price range I can manage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sometimes wonder what I'd do if I had to start over in today's hobby. I can't say with 100 percent certainty I'd stick with it because of how crazy and/or expensive things can get now.

    Also, I'll more than likely be at this year's National, mostly because the convention hall is about 15 minutes from where I live!

    ReplyDelete

What a week!

 It's been a tough week! As some of you know, I'm a special education teacher and a baseball coach in high school. With school windi...