Thursday, August 29, 2024

An Update on this blogger's life and collection

 Obviously, it's been awhile since I posted an update. There has been a job change that has really taken all of my spare time. I'm still teaching a special education math class, but I've added the responsibility as the head baseball coach. 

About 5 years ago I volunteered to help coach the JV team because the JV coach was in the National Guard and was going to be training for a month right in the middle of the season. I coached a couple of games with him before he left and coached 2 games by myself before COVID shut us down. 

When we came back in August for the next school year, the same coach told us that he was going to be deployed for the year starting in September. Once again, I volunteered. This time it stuck. 

I have been the head JV coach and the varsity assistant for the last 5 years. One week before teachers were to report for this school year, the head coach was stepping aside to focus his time on his own family and I was asked to be the head coach.

It really was by default. By this point, there were no teaching positions available at the school to bring someone on board and there really wasn't another person to do it. 

All of that to say, that I'm extremely excited to be the head coach and extremely overwhelmed by all that I have to do. 

At no point in my life did I ever think I'd be a head baseball coach at a high school. It wasn't even on my radar. I was pretty content being an assistant coach. Being involved in the game, having an impact on the players and helping out a friend who needed some help was more than enough for me. 

Until you are in this position you have no idea of the amount of time and energy it takes. Scheduling, paperwork, practices, equipment, weight-training, grades, etc...it seems to be never-ending. I'm sure once I get a better grip on everything it will get better, but now, it's overwhelming. 

Pretty sure it's easy to understand that writing a blog and collecting cards has gotten pushed to the side for a bit. 

To be honest, the card collecting hasn't gone completely by the wayside. I have picked up cards for my set builds through TCDB trades and a few blasters and hangers from Walmart. 

I did manage to grab this from Ebay...


(I had to make sure I at least posted one picture of a card!) Number 1 of 10. I think that's pretty cool to get number one. 

That's the quick update! Hopefully, I can get this coaching thing under control soon and can get back to blogging!

Peace, 

Michael

Isaiah 40:31

P.S. Johnny's Trading Spot Freddie Freeman relic is headed your way soon!

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on the head coaching gig! Have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the coaching position! I know how much work being a tee ball coach was this year, can't imagine what you have to do to keep things running smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SWEET! Just a reminder, God doesn't give you more than you can handle! (that doesn't mean it won't be tough lol). I also have a little stack to get out to you also. Now...yes NOW you have HOMEWORK.....In addition to all of that "new" work you'll need to find out from the players that actually collect baseball cards and who their favorite team/players are. And all before the next season starts, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'luck Coach hopefully you manage like Bochy & not like Ted Williams & I feel the pain of working my school job as well my night job

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on your season Coach! I see the amount of effort my colleagues put into their sport seasons and I know I don't have enough energy to do what they do (and they're only middle school coaches) :D Props to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great update and congratulations on the Coaching job. I have been coaching something for more than 45 years now and the best has been the last 15 years. Those years have been filled with coaching three sports for a local Special Olympics delegation which I am still actively doing. I can do all things through Christ, which is a great reminder for me! Great things are always in the works for us as we follow Him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the coaching job! May God bless you in this new position.

    And that Carter? Love it! Hope he can make a big impact for the club next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the new gig!

    ReplyDelete

An Update on this blogger's life and collection

 Obviously, it's been awhile since I posted an update. There has been a job change that has really taken all of my spare time. I'm s...