Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Too many irons in the fire.

 Ever feel like you've got to many irons in the fire? Christian, husband, father, brother, uncle, friend, teacher, coach, mentor and I'm sure there's other roles that I fill, have me going in so many different directions that there are days I'm not sure which way is up. A lot of my roles overlap, but still I feel as if I'm getting pulled in 15 different directions. 

There are times that I feel the same way with my card collection. '24 Topps times three, '23 Topps Heritage, '23 Stadium Club, Corey Seager collection, Marcus Semien collection, Josh Jung collection, Mike Trout collection, Shohei Ohtani collection, Clayton Kershaw collection, etc...the list goes on and on. Then on top of all of that, you throw in the inserts that I end up trying to collect and something always seems to get missed or forgotten. Just like in my life, a lot of my collection overlaps and that just adds to things getting missed or forgotten. 


For me, what always seems to get missed or forgotten the most are the sets I'm trying to finish from '72 to present. Actually, it's not present, it's 2019. I'm doing pretty good with '24 Topps and I've completed '20, '21, '22 and '23. It's pretty easy to do that when I'm also doing it for my grandsons. Not so much on the sets from the past. 

Most of the cards that I've gotten for sets from 1981 to 1993 have come via TCDB trades. I was just making trades and not really paying much attention to it. I was more focused on cleaning out my doubles. I mentioned in my post Ramblings of an old collector that I completed the 1984 set. Funny thing was I didn't even know it. I just happened to look on TCDB one day and noticed that I didn't have any '84 cards on my wantlist. How could I not know the set was complete? How is that even possible? Seriously, if I hadn't put the set on TCDB, I'd have a complete set sitting in a box on the shelf and not even know it. Yes, I know, if it wasn't on TCDB it wouldn't have been completed anyway, but that's not my point. My point is I've got to figure out how to be better organized with the cards that are coming in.

TCDB has helped a ton with the organization. That being said, I'm a long, long way from being organized. Between opening packs, picking up cards here and there, attending card shows and TCDB trades, there seems to be a pretty good flow of cards coming in. I'm pretty sure that I have put cards into sets or boxes that I had already inventoried and not updated it on TCDB. 

Plus, I've got cards going out too. The cards going out are pretty well organized and to be honest, I don't have to worry about it too much. Between TCDB trades and what I'm selling on buysportscards.com I know what's going out. My problem is keeping up with what's coming in. 

I may have a fix for my problem. I started putting all incoming cards into one box. Then, as I have time, I can go through the box and update TCDB and put the cards with their respective sets. I'm going to give this a try and see if it helps. 

I've got very little in my collection when it comes to the older sets. I've got a really good start on my '75 Topps and my '78 Topps set. The other sets? Less than 100 cards for each. I decided that I would finish one of the two sets before I focused on another one. Two at one time is enough. There's just not a lot of progress on either set. It's not like the cards aren't out there, just that the sets aren't a priority for me for some reason. I've got to start putting a little more emphasis on those sets. 

Sets that I'm working on pre-1981 have mostly come from card shows. I have received a few trades that involved my '78 set, but for the most part, its card shows and card stores. I think I'll stick to shows and stores, because I can see exactly what I am getting. I'm not a huge stickler on condition, but I want a nice looking card. 

I've struggled with making trades on TCDB for the older cards because of condition. When I put my cards on TCDB, I didn't pay that much attention to condition. I also wonder if my trading partners did the same thing. So when a trade comes up for those older cards, I don't want to send someone a card that might be a rougher than what they were expecting. I know that I'm not a fan of receiving cards that are beat up when my expectation was higher. I have several cards that are placeholders. Cards that I know I want to upgrade at some point because they are more than a little rough. I just don't want to have a whole bunch of cards to try and upgrade. The thing is I'm probably more concerned about what my trade partner thinks of the cards I send than what I get in return. 

For now, until I get TCDB updated on the condition of my cards, I will probably stick to in person deals until I get more comfortable with trading on TCDB for the older cards. 

Peace, 

Michael

Isaiah 40:31

7 comments:

  1. Seager, huh? If you don't mind cards of him when he wasn't on the Rangers, I have one I would like to send your way. I'd just need your address. If interested, my email is in my profile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Constant organization is one of the key requirements of the hobby! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, staying on top of just the cards is a tough go when it isn't just one guy super collection. Team sets, set builds, and PC's is always.... well you know already. The Christian in you knows the word patience very well, you'll go nuts without it. Find your routine and stick to it the best you can, life does happens and things get a little wonky here and there but they typically work out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I know the feeling of too many irons. I put a halt, for the most part, on the acquire part for a bit. I've spent the last few months reconciling my in-hand collection to what is reflected in TCDB and my spreadsheets. In parallel, better organizing and marking when I put away. Do I like not adding to the collection, yeah, but I really needed to stop and organize for my sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand the in person trade thing. One of my biggest hangups with making trades is worrying about whether or not the condition of my cards meet another collector's standards too. With in person trades... that problem is solved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You need to see my collection. Except for my '21, '22 and '23-'24 binder, my cards are literally everywhere. Organization is definitely difficult.

    I almost only do in person trades. It helps that I have a few good card.collectors close to me, but I think the only trade I made that wasn't in person was with Johnny's Trading Spot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't identify with most of the things you listed in your first paragraph, but as someone with (too) many interests, (too) many hobbies, it's easy to get overwhelmed. I've yet to figure out a solution to that problem though.

    ReplyDelete

Ramblings of an old collector

 Just my thoughts on some random topics about cards and baseball. - Huge shout out to The Diamond King !  He sent me this 2015 Panini USA Ba...