Sunday, May 12, 2024

What a week!

 It's been a tough week! As some of you know, I'm a special education teacher and a baseball coach in high school. With school winding down and end of year paperwork, a tough loss to knock us out of the playoffs and just life in general, it's been a long week. 

A long week means there's not a lot of time for blog writing. To be honest, this week I kind of hit a wall on what to write about. I've got a couple of ideas, but nothing wants to come out when I sit down at the keyboard. What do you do when it's been a long week, you've got nothing to say and you really want to keep your goal of writing at least one post a week? You stop, take a deep breath and think about something good. Something good is checking the mailbox and finding a package with some cards in it. 

I picked up some cards on Ebay, claim sales on Facebook and some trades on TCDB. Isn't cool how baseball cards can make your week a little better!

Here are the Ebay pick-ups that came in this week.


The Bobby Witt Jr. cards were additions for my Witt Jr. PC and one of those is a dupe for my grandson. The Mike Trout is a short print for '24 Heritage set. 

Here's my pick-ups from Facebook claim sales



These cards were all 50 cents each plus shipping. All but the Witt Jr. Home Field Advantage. That one I actually pulled this week. My wife and I have this understanding. She sends me to Walmart for something and I come home with cards too. I was lucky enough to come home with Witt Jr. Home Field Advantage. Here's a few more that I pulled this week.


All of these will go in the player collections except the Lawler. I haven't decided if I'm going to collect his cards yet. He's from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area which is home for me so there is a little interest, but I don't know. 


Almost all of these will go in player collections. 

Here's a few cards that came in on trades from TCDB.


I'm really trying to finish the '23 Stadium Club set. I'm still missing almost 100 cards. These three get me a little closer.


I've completed my '24 Topps Series 1, but I've still got some to get for my grandsons' sets. These are for those sets. 


This little trade gets me a little closer to finally finishing my '81 Topps set. 


The Pudge Rodriguez card comes with a little story. 

I made a trade with someone who didn't have all of the cards that he thought he had. Instead of contacting me and telling me that there was a problem, he found other cards from my want list and sent them instead. When I opened the package, there was note describing the situation with an apology. It caught me off-guard and I wasn't too thrilled with it for a couple of days. After I came to grips with it and looked at the cards he sent, it was still a fair trade. I sent a message telling him that it took a bit, but it was a fair trade and I was okay with it. A couple of weeks later this Pudge card arrives from the same guy. Again, apologizing for the mix up and hoped that this gift would help. I was good with the trade. He didn't have to send the extra card. I guess now I have my first (and probably only!) graded card in my collection. 

You hear so many stories of people getting scammed, cards not showing up, counterfeit cards, etc... I thought it was important to hear a good story too. I have met so many great people in this hobby at shows, through this blog, on Facebook and at card shops. As much as I love baseball and card collecting, its really the people that make this hobby great.

Peace, 
Michael
Isaiah 40:31






8 comments:

  1. Yes indeed, there are people out there in this hobby of ours that keep it fun, interesting, and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressed that you got Series 1 done already. Not that I'm trying real hard but I think I still need like 100 cards.

    One of the reasons I don't trade a lot on TCDB is living in fear of not having all the cards that I've listed for trade on the site, life is busy and that's exactly the thing that would slip through the cracks. It's bitten me a couple times on there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a bunch of 1981 Topps for trade unfortunately I am not a member of TCDB so if you are interested lmk you can email me at sr75osufan75 at yahoo.com be sure to put in the subject heading all caps RANGERS MICHAEL BLOGGER NEEDS 1981 TOPPS DON'T DELETE then send me your complete wantlists & I'll check what I have for you & if you want to see my lists either wait until I start my blog next month with the help of my friend from The Collective Mind Blog or drop me at line at sportscardforum.com under the name BSEBALLCOMMISH75 plus I have a bunch of Rangers cards from 1972 to the present

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really do card for card trades anymore... but if I did and the expected cards didn't show up... I'd probably be bummed. Gotta admit... the guy you traded with came through in the end though.

    I've always got mixed emotions about the month of May in regards to teaching. On one hand... it's very overwhelming. Right now we're in the midst of state testing. Plus my leadership kids are getting ready for the grad dance. To top it off... I'm in charge of one of the end of the year field trips. But on the other hand... in five weeks... summer break begins! Very stoked about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice cards! As another week saver, you won the Don Cardwell contest:

    https://doncardwelllovesthisblog.blogspot.com/2024/05/we-have-winner.html

    By the way, what school do you coach for?

    ReplyDelete
  6. First off, love all the Bobby Witts!

    Secondly, the people I've come in contact with from the hobby are amazing. They're what made me keep Don Cardwell around. I was planning to have it up for a couple weeks and then forget about it. But all the bloggers who welcomed me made me love the hobby. Now I can't go too long without publishing or reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, that Witt HFA card is awesome. Great stuff, and don't worry too much if life gets in the way of blogging. I am in the same boat right now.

    ReplyDelete

An Update on this blogger's life and collection

 Obviously, it's been awhile since I posted an update. There has been a job change that has really taken all of my spare time. I'm s...