Tuesday, February 28, 2023

And it starts...

 I've been waiting patiently for the opportunity to get to the local card shop or for my Walmart or Target to stock 2023 Topps Series 1. I've been hearing that once the shelves are stocked, they stay that way and that no one is buying retail. So I figured if that was the case, once they stocked the shelves I wouldn't have any problems. I run by Walmart on my way home and lo and behold, there are 5 hanger boxes left. Just 5 boxes. There were two almost completely empty display boxes. You guessed it, I bought all 5. 

It's always fun to rip packs, especially the new Topps release. 




I like the design of the base cards. The headshot brings back memories of the 1983 and 1984 Topps sets. I'm not a huge fan of the backs of the cards with the different colors, but its not terrible either. The inserts are decent looking too. I do like the throwback card design from 1988. I think its an under appreciated  design because its from the junk wax era, but its a good looking card. 

All in all, I'm excited to start collecting my 3 sets, one for me and one for each of my grandsons. 

I've been watching a bunch of YouTube videos of collectors and they are all bashing Topps Series 1 retail release. It seems to be all about the inserts, which in turn, means its all about the money. Now I, like every other collector loves it when I open a pack and find a really nice rare card. A card that I can add to my collection or maybe sell off/trade for something that I really want to add to my collection. It doesn't always happen, but when it does... There was a YouTube guy who said, "A true collector wouldn't buy retail because of the odds are so bad getting a gold card. True collectors would only buy hobby boxes because the odds are better." I thought that was a pretty arrogant statement. Makes me think maybe that guy isn't a true collector, but a speculator/investor. To each their own. That is what I always thought was cool about baseball card collecting. To each their own. You get to collect what you want. Build sets, collect teams or players...whatever you want to do. I don't get why people have to bash or look down on others who do something different. This is supposed to be fun! Don't think I'll be watching that guy's video anymore. I can live without the attitude. I get enough attitude teaching school!

Peace, 

Michael

Isaiah 40:31

1 comment:

  1. Oof, there are some BAD YouTube collector videos. In general I don't watch them, partly because that attitude is pervasive in that medium. Also "true collector" is a suspect term.

    ReplyDelete

What a week!

 It's been a tough week! As some of you know, I'm a special education teacher and a baseball coach in high school. With school windi...