Sunday, March 26, 2023

Do you track your card collection?

 As I have said before, I started collecting cards back in 1981 and was pretty active for about 5 years. Then life happened and it became sporadic. I really got back into it about 5 years ago. All that time, I never really thought much about tracking my collection. I mean, to almost anyone else, its not worth a lot of money, but to me...that's a whole other story. 

About the closest I've come to tracking my collection was a checklist that I made for all of the sets I wanted to collect. I'm pretty good with Excel so I created these checklists. 

                                                                   

The thing about it, these checklists don't even come close to listing all of the cards I have. They are great for tracking what I have/need for a particular set, but don't do anything for any doubles, inserts or cards that I have that aren't set related. So, after watching some Youtube videos, I think it might be a good idea to start some kind of inventory of all of my cards. I'm just not real sure the best way to do it. 

First of all, I need something free. Which leans me to Excel. I tend to be a little old school which is why I printed the checklist books. However, I can see how that would not only be extremely time consuming, but will kill a lot of trees. Plus, I'm not sure I see an easy way to update it. Once again, I'm leaning toward Excel. 

I know that there are a ton of collectors who use TCDB and I actually listed a want list for 2022 Topps that I needed to complete a set, but I'm just not real sure about it. I would gladly take any feedback that you'd like to share about it. 

I've heard a lot of people talk about PSA set registry...doesn't apply to me because, I don't do graded cards. To be honest I'm not 100% sure I understand it anyway. I do know that whatever I do, it will take a ton of time to get it all done. 

I'm open to suggestions!

Peace, 

 Michael
Isaiah 40:31     

5 comments:

  1. I have started to transition my entire collection to TCDB and I'd recommend it. It's a time consuming process but once it's down it's totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I track some of mine on TCDB, but some separately. Some pros and cons to each. I like trading on TCDB, so I have my extras listed there for trade. And the site also helps me keep track of my want lists. That part is MUCH easier there than doing it anywhere else, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven't figured out a good way for me to catalog everything. I'd probably use Excel and/or Google Sheets if I did start trying to organize and write down everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to track my collection on Excel (and before that, in a spiral notebook!). But I've since moved it over to TCDB. It's pretty tedious uploading everything (especially when you get into the ticky-tack variations listed in junk-wax era sets), but once it's there, it is so much easier to find out all kinds of facts about your collection. For example I know exactly how many cards I have for someone like Bryan Hickerson (and everyone else!). That's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to one day inventory my entire collection... but honestly the more I think about it... the less I think it will ever happen. I use TCDB to track my Steve Largent PC. One day I will definitely add other player collections and hopefully wantlists & trade bait. But it won't be anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete

Who's the face of the team - American League Central

Only two divisions left!  Between Spring Break and coaching baseball, life has been a little busy. It's taken me longer to get this post...