Saturday, August 26, 2023

A quick break from the 1980s...

 I had to make a quick, 3-day trip to Albuquerque. It really wasn't that quick because its a 10-hour drive. While I was there I looked up card shops on Google and found 5 shops. I was only able to visit 2 of the shops before I had to return home. It would've been 3 but the other one was closed. 

The first one I visited was kind of small and really wasn't very organized. All of the sports were mixed together. It was difficult to find anything. The graded cards and the ungraded cards were in the same display cases all mixed together and in general, I thought the prices were kind of high. I did find a $1.00 box and went through about two stacks of cards, but it was difficult to find anything. Once again everything was mixed together and the cards were facing forwards, backwards, upside down...you name it. Plus, some were in penny sleeves, some in top loaders, but most weren't in anything. I'm not saying that a $1.00 box has to be divided by sport in numerical order by year, but some semblance of order would be nice. The guy working the store was pleasant enough, but all he would do was try to get me to buy the expensive stuff, even when I let him know several times that I couldn't afford it. When I get back to Albuquerque, this store will be marked off the list. 

The second store wasn't really a card store it was an autograph store that had cards. The card section wasn't very big, but had some nice cards. I was pressed for time, so I only went through a couple of rows in a $1.00 box. I got a few cards, so my trip wasn't a total loss. 


I'm starting a player collection of Jim Abbott. I'm not sure why I haven't already done that because I think his story is awesome. The Trout cards, Acuna Jr. and Witt Jr. are also for player collections. The Ryan is not a 1984 card, but a 2012 reprint. I have a friend who loves everything Nolan so I picked it up for him.

I asked the guy at the store if they had any room on the prices of the cards and he said that their margin was so low that the price is what it is. It wasn't my best purchase at card store, but it wasn't bad either. The store, All in Autographs, had some really great autographs, pictures, helmets and some baseballs. I found a nice picture of Hank Aaron in his blue Braves uniform in a follow through of his swing that was autographed, or so I thought, that I was prepared to buy, but the guy working the store pointed out that it was a reprint, so I put it back. Thought that was pretty cool that he did that though. I know that if I'm ever in the market for an autograph or have some time to kill, I'll go back for a visit.

I had some mail waiting for me when I got home...


All three of these were Ebay pick-ups for my player collections.

Well, that's all of the quick break from the 1980s. I'll get that second post on the '80s up real soon!

Peace, 
Michael
Isaiah 40:31


5 comments:

  1. Yeah, you never know what you're going to get with card shops. They've got to stop the hard-sale stuff, we know what we're doing (though I bet a lot of people who come in there don't).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you able to get to the Bubba's Bullpen shop. I remember going to that shop when I visited Albuquerque & Bubba himself had a nice selection of vintage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Bubba's was the place that closed before I got there. I know I definitely saw the name in my search.

      Delete
  3. Nothing quick about a 10 hr drive for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you hear about some of these places, and how they conduct business, it's hard for me to imagine how it is that they're even able to stay in business. And there are a number of bloggers who collect Jim Abbott, so you'll be in good company.

    ReplyDelete

Ramblings of an old collector

 Just my thoughts on some random topics about cards and baseball. - Huge shout out to The Diamond King !  He sent me this 2015 Panini USA Ba...