Saturday, September 30, 2023

Thoughts and questions from an old card collector

 I've been blogging a little over 8 months and I've learned a few things...

First, it's not as easy as I thought it would be. I figured I could just talk off the top of my head and I do that some of the time, like right now, but when I decided to write about my favorite sets from the '80s I actually had to do some research. Now don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed it immensely. I really liked going back through the 1980, 1983 and 1984 Topps sets as I prepared to write the post about the '80s. I still struggle with what topics to write about. I haven't found my niche yet.

Second, its hard to stick to a schedule. Life likes to interrupt the schedule. My original plan was to write at least one a week. That plan quickly changed to every two weeks. It took me over a month to get the '80s part 2 out because life decided to intervene. Work got complicated, lost a family member and moved my youngest son to another state to name a few of life's bumps in the schedule. When life is that crazy, it's hard to sit down and write. I'm not a natural writer like some of the bloggers that I read. I have to really work at it. So, when life gets messy, sitting down to write just isn't a priority.

Third, I love logging into Blogger and see how many people have read the blog and I absolutely love it when people take the time to write a response. It made me realize that I need to respond when I read the blogs that I follow. I don't always do it, but I'm trying to at least say something. So, if you're reading this, leave a message! LOL!

- I've bought cards on Ebay, BuySportsCards.com, Facebook, Online Dime Box, Walmart, Target, local card stores, but I think my favorite place to get cards are at shows. It's the people. I used to love going to the local card store because we'd talk baseball, cards, and sports. It was a place to hang out and talk sports, look at cards and get away from the daily grind. The problem now is the local card stores around me aren't like that anymore. It's all business, the people that work there aren't as friendly, don't seem to want to just talk sports while I browse and don't really make deals anymore either. The card shows are the complete opposite. I've always found deals at the shows, the dealers are friendly and love to talk sports. Give me a card show over any other venue to get cards. 

- As I've mentioned before I've started trying to catalogue my collection on TCDB. It's been a long time since I've done anything as far as adding my collection to TCDB. I have completed 36 trades and have one in transit. I think now that life has settled down a bit, I hope that I can get back to it. 

- Has Ohtani lost some of his shine since he's been hurt? I feel as if everyone has moved on. He's still a lock for AL MVP and I think he still deserves it(You could make an argument for Corey Seager, but he's just missed too many games). I know that I don't seem to see as many Ohtani cards when I'm out looking.

- Absolutely love the discussion between Acuna Jr. and Betts for NL MVP. I really like Mookie Betts, but I think he's finishing second in this race. Acuna's season is off the charts.


Questions...

-Do you think the grading of cards is growing, staying steady or declining?- 

   

I believe that grading of cards might be on the decline. I've heard enough stories of people being unsatisfied with the grades the cards receive, how long it takes to get the cards back and the expense of grading the cards. I'm seeing more and more people looking for ungraded cards at shows. I do believe that it will be around, but I think it might be losing it's luster. 

- If you could keep only one thing from your collection, what would it be?

That's a tough question. For me, it probably would be my 1953 Jackie Robinson. Not because of the monetary value because it's in pretty rough shape, but for what Jackie Robinson represents. I've tried to type this sentence several times only to delete it because it everything I've tried to write just doesn't do him justice. I can't even begin to imagine everything that he had to deal with and still be able to play the game at such a high standard. That's what a real man looks like. 

Finally, I was very blessed to have met Brooks Robinson at a card show when I was a teenager. I didn't get to spend much time with him and to be honest I really don't remember anything of our brief conversation, but I do remember him being larger than life and an extremely nice man. He took the time to recognize a teenager who was pushed to the side by a bunch of older men. Rest in peace Brooks Robinson. The world is a little worse off without you in it.

 

Peace, 

Michael

Isaiah 40:31

7 comments:

  1. Whoa, you just wrote 10 posts in that one entry, maybe conserve some of those ideas and then you'll have more to write when you have time!

    I'm a little different because I write for a living and I live to write, so even when it's hectic, I want to post something. But i think once a week is something easy to stick to if you want to stay with it.

    I like getting cards at shows better than anywhere else. I'm not much of a chatter, but I do like the atmosphere and that everyone there likes cards, which is very unlike the rest of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outside of authentication of vintage cards, I have always seen literally no value to card grading. But a lot of people are into it for some reason. Seems like its popularity is steady from what I've observed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate grading, but can't see it ever going away. I like the idea of authenticating only, but there's not enough money in that to really make it work, probably. And I think that the one thing I would keep from my collection is the 56 Clemente graded 6.5. Lol, right after I dump on the idea of graded cards.... I only have about 15 graded cards total, but that Clemente... pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had a card graded. I have never attended a show. I have never been to an LCS. I like how you put life happenings in front of your writing. Priorities are not easy, but in my opinion, you got it right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Greg on the posts. Literally, you could have split this one up into several posts. Life will definitely throw a curve ball at you, just have to watch out for that screwball, LOL. If you are afraid of forgetting what is on your mind to use in future posts create a file for post ideas).

    I love the LCS in Ormond it is 90 minute drive though. Shows are and can be amazing. There for a little while this year I was doing two a week (that wore me out and broke me).

    If I could keep only 1 card, probably my Hank Aaron rookie. Not set in stone though.

    I dislike and always have disliked grading cards. I believe it is slowing as the PSA price is down from $26.00 to $23.00. I can't see paying for someone else's subjective opinion as to the condition of a card, I trust my own and that is FREE. LOL. I like free and I usually agree with myself so that wins over the graded thing for me.

    To close this "message" don't stress over writing your posts. It is supposed to be fun for you and serves as a stress reliver at times (just the opposite). Sometimes a quickie is all that is needed. Get an idea write it down where it can't be lost, and take care of it when you find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once a week, once, every two weeks, once a month - don't worry too much about how often you post. It's important to keep blogging an enjoyable experience. It is fun to research things, but once it becomes a chore it starts to lessen the joy of it all. You've written some great stuff, and I'm glad you're a part of our little community!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Commenting serves two purposes: A). It's let people know that someone is actually reading what they wrote, and B). It gets your name out there; which helps other people to find your blog.

    From what I've read, it sure doesn't sound like grading has slowed down any, and like others have already said, I don't see it ever going away.

    ReplyDelete

What a week!

 It's been a tough week! As some of you know, I'm a special education teacher and a baseball coach in high school. With school windi...