Sunday, June 23, 2024

Ramblings of an old Collector

- With school ending, graduation, losing power for a week because of a storm, keeping grandkids and trying to recover from everything, I've gotten way behind in reading everyone's blogs. If you start seeing comments on older posts you'll know why. 

 - I was at the local Walmart looking for Topps Series 2 and there weren't any out. Instead of leaving empty handed, I picked up a '24 Heritage blaster. Good decision. Every pack had a purple refractor in it! 

 


Not only did I get 7 purple refractors, two of them were Rangers! Not a bad concession prize for not finding Topps Series 2!

- Not to brag or anything, but my son was an assistant coach on the Texas 5A State champion Grapevine High School baseball team. So awesome to see the positive impact he is having on players, not just in baseball but on becoming young men. 

- Now that its summer and school is out, I'm trying to get more organized in my collection. I know, its the neverending battle of collectors. Right now, I'm focused on my player collections and getting them organized and in TCDB. 

- I'm down to 54 cards in my 1978 set. This is going to be my priority once I finish 2024 Topps series 1 & 2.

- Speaking of 2024 Topps, my niece just had a baby boy, so I decided to put another set together for him. I already had a lot of dupes, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

- I've done 3 breaks in my lifetime now and unless I'm really bored, I think I'm done with it. The only good thing about the breaks is I got some Ranger cards I wanted, but it wasn't worth the money. I've heard there are breakers out there that only send out the hits and not the base cards. That would tick me off. Anyways, here are the hits that I did get...all in one break.



- My Texas Rangers, haven't been very good this year. They've had a ton of injuries, can't hit and the pitching has been sporadic at best. It's been interesting watching the number of bandwagon people jumping off. Not me, I'm a lifer. UPDATE: Rangers have won 4 in a row!

- I need some help identifying this reprint. What year is this reprint from? I know its a reprint of '60 Topps, but I can't figure out when it was reprinted. 



I can find the '96 Topps Commemorative reprint with embossed Mickey Mantle on it and the white and yellow back, but not this one. Help!

- I finally got my starter set for 2010 Topps. I've got to sort it and get it on TCDB so I can start trading for it. I'm not doing the update set, so the update cards that I got will be for trade.

- I picked up some cards from Ebay, Buysportscards.com and facebook claims that finally came in... 




All of these are for my player collections. 


These two short prints help me get a little closer to completing the sets. 



These 7 cards got closer to completing the '78 set.

I guess that's all for now. Hope everyone has a blessed week!

Peace, 
Michael
Isaiah 40:31




6 comments:

  1. add that 78' want list to the 2024 you're e-mailing me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to your son and his team, that's awesome!

    By the way, if you want a more team-centered, low-end group break experience, join my Discord where I try to run breaks fairly often (currently taking sign-ups for 2024 Topps Heritage Mini).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be nice as a parent to know/see that your children have turned out so well. Kudos to you and your wife on that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the '78 set! ... Normally I think the purple Heritage parallels are a nice surprise, but not this year as it gets in the way of completing the set and also since it's paying tribute to my all-time favorite set, I don't have time for Topps' parallel games.

    Nice Freeman Highlights pull. I need a second one of those for my team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A. I was on vacation for a week, so I got behind reading blogs too.

    B. Sorry to hear that you lost power for a week. That sucks on so many levels... but especially if you had a lot of food in the fridge and freezer.

    C. Congratulations to your son's baseball team. That's pretty awesome. Maybe one day one or two of his players go on to having some cards of their own for him to collect.

    ReplyDelete

An Update on this blogger's life and collection

 Obviously, it's been awhile since I posted an update. There has been a job change that has really taken all of my spare time. I'm s...