Sunday, June 16, 2024

The Seventies-The least favorite sets


 After a lot of thought I have come up with my least favorite sets of the 1970s. This was difficult, because I'm talking about baseball cards and baseball cards are greatness. Once again, I will say just because these sets are listed here, it doesn't mean that I don't like them at all...it just means I don't like them as much. I mean, the '72, '75 and '78 sets are right up there, it not, my favorite sets of all-time. That makes it a little easier to pick the favorites, the least favorites are a little harder to come up with. 

The first of the lesser sets for me is th 1970 set. I think the design is boring with the grey borders and the plain print. Not only that, but the pictures on the cards look as if they were rushed. Almost all of the shots are posed and the backgrounds aren't very good. Most have people milling around in the background. 

     

At least McNally has ballplayers in his background. Cullen as either a bunch of reporters or exec staff in his. Another card that just doesn't look right to me is the Hank Aaron card. 


This card has always made me think he was looking down and the photographer called his name and snapped the picture as soon as he looked up. Not the best Aaron card. 

There aren't any real good rookie cards in the '70 set other than Thurman Munson. 

Individual or position rookie cards are my preferred rookie card and this is probably my least favorite. I do appreciate Munson's career and it is truly sad that his career was cut short. 

There are cards that I like in the set. I really like the playoff subset cards. 


     

I really like the black and white picturesof these cards. Great picture of Seaver, who knew Powell could get airborne and Agee's catch is classic.

Here are a couple of cards that I do like from the set.

     

Ryan looks so young on this card and Carew looks so serious. Probably my favorite Carew card.

Next up for one of the least favorite sets, 1971. This one is really easy, it's the black borders. The black borders can look really sharp, but they seem to show every little issue the card may have. I don't get too hung up on condition of cards. I don't like big creases or really rounded corners, but a little ding here or there doesn't bother me. However, most of the '71 cards seems to show everything and really takes away from the cards for me. 

     

Now the good thing about the set is that Topps brought back the action shot and most of the backgrounds of the other shots have been cleaned up. That is a classic Nolan Ryan shot and I always love a good action shot of a catcher. 

     

Gibson is one of my favorites and I don't think he gets enough credit that he deserves. He and Ryan kind of pitched the same in that neither one was a pitcher that you wanted to dig in on. Had to include this card of Aaron to make up for the last one. 


This has got to be the worst Brooks Robinson card. I like action shots, but a swing and a miss? Not the best choice. 

The last of my three least favorite sets of the '70s is the 1976 set. I had a hard time with this one. I probably could have stopped with only two sets, but out of all of the years left in the '70s, the '76 is the last one I'd chase. I think it boils down to two color bars on the bottom of the front of the card. 

     

There are much better pictures on the cards as opposed to the '71 set. Better looking Robinson card than the '71 set. Even the posed shots are better. 

     

What action shots that are in the set seem to be better pictures too. Topps did seem to try and color match with the teams. It's not a terrible design, it just isn't my favorite.

Well, that's it for my least favorite sets of the 1970s. I'm not sure I'll do another one of these. Let me know your thoughts on the least favorite sets of the Seventies. Do any of yours match up with mine?

Peace, 
Michael
Isaiah 40:31














4 comments:

  1. For me the last three of the decade 79, 78, and 77 would be the least liked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1970 had been my least favorite '70s Topps set for a long time. But now I'm almost finished completing it and there are some great photos in it. Now, 1979 is at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. '70, '71, '72, and to a lesser extent, '73, are my favorites from the decade. Everything else is just kind of meh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My least favorite Topps sets from the 70's are 1979 and 1970. If forced to pick a third, I'd say 1971... but there's a gap between it and the 1970 design. As for the 1976 design... I really like it.

    ReplyDelete

Ramblings of an old Collector

- With school ending, graduation, losing power for a week because of a storm, keeping grandkids and trying to recover from everything, I'...