Saturday, January 6, 2024

2023 in review and What's the plan for 2024

 2023 was a big year for me and baseball card collecting. Tons of firsts for me. Now I've been collecting for a long time. All the way back to 1981. I started when I was working at First Base card shop in Lochwood mall in Dallas, TX. There have been many ups and downs since that time, alot of those I have covered in other posts. 

Back to 2023. I really decided that I was really going to get organized and develop a plan for my collecting. For the most part I've stuck to it. I started looking around for the best way to get organized and I came upon TCDB. My first, first was trying to get my collection listed on TCDB. I would say for the most part its gone pretty well. I do know that I'm no where near having everything listed and I'm quite sure I've added cards to sets that are listed that aren't on there either. I'm not exactly sure how I correct that without doing inventory. I always hated doing inventory when I worked retail. Oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do. 

My next first was figuring out how to move cards that I really didn't want or need. I needed a place to sell some cards. I really didn't want to do Ebay, don't know enough about COMC and wasn't sure about social media either. That's when I found BuySportsCards.com. I created an account and began listing cards. For the 2023 year, I had 41 transactions for almost $400. I know its not enough to retire on, but its $400 to spend on cards. My little advertisement for BSC is if you are looking for low end inexpensive cards, its a good place to start looking. 

My next first was TCDB trading. 43 complete trades in 2023. Based on what I've been reading over the year in blogs, that's not a very big number, but it was huge for me. I don't think I've ever traded cards before.

Social media card collecting was another first for me. I started following different card groups and bought a few cards. Towards the end of the year I actually made a trade through social media. I kind of like it, but man I hate paying for shipping. Same goes of pickups on Ebay or BSC. 

Last, but definitely not least, I started this blog. It's been almost a year now and I have "met" some truly interesting people. I enjoy reading and commenting on their blogs and especially enjoy when others read and comment on mine. 

What does 2024 have in store for collecting for me? Who knows? I plan to get TCDB up to date, make more trades, work on selling more cards on BSC, maybe do a claim sale on social media and most importantly, keep collecting. 

By the way, did I mention that the Texas Rangers won the World Series?


I know, I know, I'm being a little bit of a pain, but man, I waited a long time for that! 

Let me know what your plans for 2024 are in the comments!

Peace, 

Michael

Isaiah 40:31

6 comments:

  1. You go for it. You can beat that horse until there is a new Championship team. (Hopefully, the Braves :) Congrats on a great year and I wish you an even better one in 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your posts and have tried some of the same things as you. The biggest difference is that I don't have a blog. Go Twins! Based on your profile description and your reference at the end of each blog entry I can say we are brothers. Maybe we can do a TCDb trade sometime. Let's make a great 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of selling cards, it's a lot of work and a couple of ebay buyers have soured me on doing it there. I might check out that site you mentioned.

    Cheers to 2024! Should be a good card year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing BuySportsCards. Wasn't familiar with that site, but I'll create an account and check it out. Probably won't actively sell anything anytime soon. Have lots of other hobby related things I need to take care of before that. One of them is to eventually get my cards up on TCDB... but in 2024 the primary focus will be to try to blog on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you've joined our blogging community, and I'm looking forwards to more posts from you in 2024!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a bit biased, I know, but I think you starting a blog was the best hobby thing that you did last year :)

    ReplyDelete

What a week!

 It's been a tough week! As some of you know, I'm a special education teacher and a baseball coach in high school. With school windi...